Milo with his Project Linus blanket, a new stuffed wolf from Grandpa and Kiana, and the donated stuffed owl that he got at the hospital (note the "Class of '98" graduation cap!)Me: "You were so brave Milo. Were you scared?"
Milo: "Huh?! No, Momma. Why did you think I was scared?"
Me: "Because honey, sometimes it's kind of scary when you can't breathe."
Milo: "No, Momma, I was just scared because I couldn't talk. I couldn't really breathe and I kept on thinking that I wanted to go to your hospital to get better but my voice wouldn't work so I couldn't tell Daddy. (pause) And then, next thing, I just realized that I was at your work already!" (He kept losing consciousness because he was so hypoxic.)
*****
Isabel (in the E.R.): "Could somebody please fix that? (pointing at Milo) Because I don't know why my brother's voice sounds like that!"
*****
Me: "Milo, Dr. Guenther will be back to see you in a little while. Then, in the morning, you'll get to meet another doctor that works with Mommy. She's my friend; her name is Dr. Sampera."
Milo: "Oh. Okay Mommy. But, when will Dr. Arnold be here?" (His opthamologist!!)
Me: "Oh baby, Dr. Arnold doesn't need to see you this time."
Milo: "Oh. Okay. Are my eyes okay this time?"
*****
Me: "Look Milo, Hannah (a nurse) brought you this cool blankie to sleep with. It even has a valentine (a heart) sewn on the corner of it!"
Milo: "Oh Momma, let me see that! Oooohhh, this is great! This is so I can just look at it and think about my sister Issy when she's not here!"
*****
Milo: "Momma, do you want me to tell you what happened?"Me: "Sure, Milo. Tell me what happened."
Milo: "Well, I was at home sleeping and I woke up and my throat was just like this (holds up a closed fist) and my voice wouldn't even work. And then pretty soon Daddy came into my room and he just ripped me right out of my bed and we couldn't find any medicine and then Daddy got Issy and he drove us to the hospital soooo fast Mommy! But I wasn't scared. But Daddy was REALLY scared. And then they gived me some medicine and it made my throat like this instead (makes an 'O' with his fist and looks through it at me) and then I started to feel a little bit better."
*****
Milo (looking at the Project Linus tag sewn onto the corner of his blanket--with a little picture of Linus sucking his thumb and holding his blanket): "Hey! Mom! My blankie has a picture of a little boy holding a blankie and sucking his thumbie! (pause) Why is he doing that?"
Me: "I think that maybe he gets scared sometimes too and sucking his thumb and holding his blanket makes him feel a little better, just like you."
Milo: "Oh...does he have to go to the hospital a lot too?"
15 comments:
Oh Erin I hope that everything works out. Just know that you are in our prayers!
Milo is a champ! It's cute that he is so casual about the whole thing, what a sweet little kid. He and Issy have such a cute little bond. I love to hear the dialogue.
SOOOOOO PRECIOUS!!!! Good for you for documenting these sweet conversations.
I have tears in my eyes because I have done this routine too many times to count. I am so sorry, but am so happy that everything turned out OK.
I don't know which comment made my heart melt more...Linus or his eyes being okay 'this time'. :)
Listen to him Erin! He'll heal your heart.
Kristin
I am way behind on blogs and I was talking to Jessica last night and she asked me if I knew what was going on--
Sorry I've been absent. And SO SO sorry that this isn't fixed yet. He's such a brave boy and it's so crappy he's having to deal with this again. I can't even imagine how scary that is, and I'm just overwhelmed with love for all of you. We'll be praying super super hard for Milo, okay?
What a sweet beautiful boy. It was neat to read the interaction between you two. Thank you for sharing. He is serioulsy so smart and sweet. I hope you are taking some moments to just breath.
Aw, I love that Milo has such a protective sister to help out in the hospital. That's so cute. I'm glad he's got such a good attitude! What a sweet little guy.
I can hardly read this through the tears. What great kids...and what great parents.
I send my love and prayers.
such a sweet boy! and sweet family. sorry so hard right now! we are praying for you all.
p.s. thanks for keeping the watch out for houses to rent, that would have been great to go back to Terry Lake...
Lots of love to Milo and all of you from Auntie. Get better extra quick!
Crying crying crying. That was the sweetest thing I've ever read. I love Mr. Milo so much. More crying.
Oh Erin, these posts made me cry. Those conversations are priceless. He explained a lot with his little fist. What a brave boy. I'm sorry.
Crying with Abbie
Oh reading this make my heart hurt. Thank goodness for your husbands quick response! I will keep your fam in my prayers.
(Hi, I am Porter's babysitter, met you at his bday party last year...I love your blog, you could be a writer in your next life!!)
Post a Comment