Thursday, August 20, 2009

And then there's this guy...

Milo at his favorite place (the zoo) with his two favorite people.

I'll be the first to admit it. My mother bear instincts go into overdrive for Milo. No joke. If anyone so much as looks at the little guy sideways and I'm ready to take them down. Give 'em a piece of my mind. Teach 'em a lesson. If someone is harsh with him I want to scream "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT MY BABY HAS BEEN THROUGH!!" and then show them a fast-forward version of his little life.
.
That's my boy. That's what's shaped him.
.
Here's the thing--this kid is AMAZING. The sweetest and strongest little spirit. The most amazing faith. The greatest laugh ever. He is. Truly. Amazing.
.
When I&M were small, I was having "a day". I distinctly remember staring at the two of them and wondering why WE were sent two! Why did WE get twins? I had the strongest feeling that they needed each other, that they would be the best of friends--that they have always been the best of friends--and that they were sent to US for two very different reasons. Isabel needed us (our parenting, our strengths, our whatever were things she needed). Milo, on the other hand, was sent FOR us. He would teach us. He would help us to be better parents, he would teach so much to everyone around him.
.
And you know, it's so true. I mean, of course, they both need. Of course, they both teach us. But that feeling has held true. They do have very different reasons for being here, in our family.
.
Milo has taught me more about myself, my instincts, my abilities as a nurse and as a mother than you would think any five year old could.
.
And, here he goes. Off to kindergarten. With his too-big-backpack and his "fast running shoes"...and maybe a stuffy or a blankie snuck in that backpack. He says he'll miss "the little guy" and that he is "a little bit scared". But he'll do fine. Preschool was a breeze.
.
Me on the other hand? To be determined.

6 comments:

Tami Anderson said...

He is an amazing little guy. So sweet and tender. I wish I had a few "Milos" in my class to keep me sane. He has a lucky, lucky teacher...and grami.

Stacy said...

Very sweet post. I too believe each of them were sent you and Spencer for a reason. BTW...Milo looks just like Spencer in that picture.

SummerV said...

He really is a sweet little guy, sweet spirit and not in the "she is a sweet spirit" like you say about ugly or fat girls...like many people probably said about me in middle school. He is such a soft hearted, loving guy.

Abbie said...

What two perfectly beautiful posts for two amazing kids. I love them. Good work, Momma.

PS - i totally have the same thing with Eli. Don't you look at him wrong or I'll rip your face off. But not with Audrie as much. The relationships with our kids are so fascinating.

Cara said...

I love those kids! I can't believe they are going to kindergarten, though! All 3 of them are adorable (although I still need to meet Keeler in person). Good luck with sending them off to school...

lisa said...

I got a huge lump in my throat reading this, and I haven't even seen him since he was just a little guy. What an amazing boy.