Sunday, July 27, 2008

A glimpse into the future and mobility aids...

Milo prefers to eat his carrots "like a rabbit" (a.k.a. with the tops on).

Today, at church, we had the chance to hear a talk from a young man (Nathan Woodbury) who is getting ready to leave to serve a 2 year mission for our church. He did such a great job speaking. He was so emotional and everything he said was so heartfelt. He struggled many times to control his emotions while he spoke. I was so impressed with him and kept thinking that I hoped that someday (at 19 nonetheless!) Milo could be that true and sincere in his love of the Lord and have such a strong desire to serve others.

Last year, during one of Milo's hospital admissions, I was really struggling. I was exhausted and hurting so much for my poor baby. Milo was sick, sick, sick (all of his usual stuff PLUS he had RSV on top of that). He was on oxygen, had a running I.V. and was just generally miserable. The Woodbury family (including ALL of their teenage children), came to visit us at the hospital. They brought us some homemade bread and asked if they could do anything for us. I was near tears already and said that I just didn't know. Of all things, they offered to sing to Milo. Their family is incredibly talented and musical--all of them. Little did they know that Milo LOVES music. He loves singing, he loves instruments, he loves to sing at church--he loves all of it. So, this wonderful family sang to him. I think they sang maybe 5 songs in total. Some were children's songs and others were spiritual songs. I can't even describe how overwhelmed I was with emotion. Milo smiled for the first time in days while he listened to them and I was so impressed with their service to us--such a simple act meant so much to Milo and to me--and with their unity as a family. To get all of your kids out on a weeknight to do something like that is, and was, so impressive.

When Nathan spoke today, I kept reflecting on all that he had become and all that he would be and how much of that was due to the family that loves him and supports him and has taught him by example. I hope that someday, someone can look at my son in the same way. In the meantime, I'll be making that much more of an effort to instill those values of service, family, and loving one another in my kids. :) (As for the music part--I'll be continuing to rely on others for that piece of it. Sadly, I am so not musical.)


Isabel on her "wheelchair".

On a completely different note, Isabel is obsessed with mobility aids. Wheelchairs, canes, walkers, and crutches. They are all equally as fascinating for her. She has taken to disassembling her toys to fashion mobility aids for herself. She's taken the basket off her shopping cart (wheelchair), the legs off her doll highchair (canes and/or crutches), and she tips another stroller upside down (a walker). She's not being malicious or mean...she just finds them fascinating and wants to incorporate them into her make-believe. (As anyone who knows them knows, they ask SO MANY questions and we've had many a talk about why a person would have a wheelchair or crutches or a walker.) Last night she was giving Milo a very serious talk about how, since she has a wheelchair she "has to park closer to the store in a special parking space" so she can "get to the store a li'l easier" and how she has to get in and out of her wheelchair to get in the tub and "it's kinda tricky you know?". :)

3 comments:

Aislinn said...

You're making me get all choked up Erin! You two are amazing parents....I'm positive that Milo( and Issy too)will become all and MORE than you can imagine. As for the wheelchair....Halle and Issy are too much alike. Halle also uses her stroller as a wheelchair and takes the broom and mop heads off of her broom and mop to use the "sticks" for canes/crutches. Silly girls. Wednesday will be fun!

Schmidt Family said...

I think that it is awesome that Isabel pretends with wheelchairs and such. It shows how observant and kind she is to others. I hope that your days with Milo in the hospital sre numbered now. I too love the Woodbury family. Such great kids! ps-- where is nathan going?

jessica said...

What a neat experience and good for you for recording it. I'm pretty sure Milo is going to have a greater sense of the Saviors love for him and his faith will be more developed than others because all the health issues that he has been through. You are clearly teaching him by your own example. I think your kids are going to turn out pretty darn good.

And Issy and the mobility aids...seriously I'm laughing outloud! She is hilarious!