Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dead Deer and Poopy Pools

Trips to Utah are always funny. This one, extra funny.

First, we spent the afternoon at Jordanelle with Melissa and Justin (and Justin's super nice and generous family). As usual, within 5 minutes of our arrival, it clouded over and started raining. Funny numero uno. Also, the fireworks that we'd been going on and on about to our kids (supposed to be launching from the middle of the lake)...not happening until July 12th. (What?! Why the 12th?! What?!) Funny numero dos.

Isabel was super-excited about the life jacket until I got her all strapped into it. The crotch strap was the final straw.

Then, there was swimming in Josh's community pool. Nevermind that we are the only people who are anything less than "I just got back from the Bahamas/my daily tanning salon trip" tan. No, no. The humor comes when Random Maintenance Guy bursts through the clubhouse doors nearly foaming at the mouth with panic and does his best to yell, "Folks, I'm gonna need you to get outta the pool right NOW." After we (being the 5 of the 7 people in the pool who were also about 2 feet away from him), stared at him in shock for 2.3 seconds, he followed up with "FOLKS WE HAVE FOUND HUMAN FECES IN THE POOL". Say no more Random Maintenance Guy, we are out of the pool. This one is made extra funny by the fact that when he made his big announcement, Milo was mid-timeout for putting his mouth on a pool noodle that didn't belong to us (for the umpteenth time after having been asked to STOP). Barf.

Next funny, is pretty much just Melissa and I going anywhere with two sets of twins. We get stares. Comments. Disbelief. Confusion. You name it. One set is enough to make people say the darndest things. Combine two sets and two talking-nonstop moms and you have total disbelief from most bystanders.
Spencer, Milo and Royan getting ready to roast some marshmallows.
Then there's the deer death. Rarely do I believe any ridiculous story that comes from the combo of Josh and Spencer. Most times, they're just trying to see who they can con. This one was true. Or so I finally believed when I saw the damaged car. They hit a deer on their way to go rock climbing. Not funny...I know. But so funny because they get into the most ridiculous predicaments. Oh, and Josh felt some sort of moral obligation to go put it out of its misery (if it wasn't already--which Spencer was not willing to go back and confirm). Only he didn't have a weapon. Only rocks and sticks. And there's no way they could follow through on that. They've been out of the rural small town for far too long. They've gone soft. ;)

Grami Tami hooked Issy up with that big-as-Texas bow. She loves it.
Then there was the family barbeque. It really deserves a post of its own. (You can go here or here for dedicated posts.) SO FUN. Tami, Terry, Erika, Melissa and their significant others all came up for some awesome food and some s'mores roasting in Melissa and Justin's firepit. We had so much fun just talking and goofing around. Then, the real fun started.

Isabel has been going through a shy (for her) phase lately. She hadn't said more than 2 words to anyone other than Grami Tami that night and suddenly, the sun goes down and she gets brave! She used the back deck as a stage and treated us all to some seriously groovin' dance moves and a solo or two. Cracked us up.

She introduced herself as "ISABEL MONTANA!!", which is her actual name but totally sounds like a play on Hannah Montana.
The funniest moment was definitely when she yelled out (after Olivia or Lyla let out a cute little baby coo noise), "Please, if there are any babies in the audience, please don't let them be so noisy!". She also asked us (in her best announcer voice) to "please stop all the cameras". We didn't.

The grand finale. Isabel looks like she's giving a shout out to her fans.

While we were there, Spencer also slaved away (ha!) making all of us whole wheat blueberry pancakes for us at his mom's house. Nothing funny about that. Just yummy. Muy bueno. Oh and I was somehow tricked into watching a UFC match with the whole fam. Ugh.

7 comments:

Aislinn said...

Laughing. So. Hard. LOVE the crotch strap being the final straw, the pool story- all of it LOL. I hear ya on the twin thing. Sounds like a fun trip.....Too bad you didn't fit us into it:)JK

SummerV said...

Sounds like a fun trip! Your kids are hilarious, can't wait to get to know them better.

jessica said...

SOOO FUNNY!

The poopy pool/Milo and the noodle...sooo yucky.

Issy and the Texas sized bow...sooo Eden-like.

And the performance at the end...sooo what Aric and I experience at least twice a week.

jessica said...

Oh!!!!!!! How could I forget the crotch strap!!!! That was Eden yesterday at the pool! Thank goodness life vest weren't that safe when we were kids!

Mel said...

I'm still laughing at that performance. Where did THAT come from? We will be laughing at that for a very long time.

I'm hoping for a repeat performance at the reception. Maybe you could teach her "The Wedding Song" by Captain and Tenille.

Tami Anderson said...

That last comment was by me logged in as Mel.

She doesn't have a clue who Captain and Tenille are.

Tiffany said...

I wish I could get to know your kids personally! They seem like some great characters in your life story! Too bad you weren't staying closer to where we live. =) And about the Pool....YUCK!!