Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Not for the faint of heart...

Wow. Seriously, if you are faint of heart, easily grossed out, easily appalled, or otherwise not accustomed to hearing/reading about the things that small children are capable of saying/doing, then DO NOT READ THE REST OF THIS POST.


Milo in a completely staged monkey bars photo--staged by him. He had a whole plan that he laid out for capturing the moment.

Having forewarned you, let me start with Milo. Both of my kids have been on a roll this week with the "saying funny and semi-embarassing things" business. Milo first:

Overheard while Milo is urinating: "I have a penis. I have a penis and it pokes out! I have a penis." Yup, he was making up a little song--a jingle if you will--about his penis. We try to always use the correct terminology for body parts and, sometimes, it results in a semi-embarassing little gem like that.

Question from Milo while I was helping him put on his shoes, "Mom why no one likes a frowny face?" He'd heard the Primary song about smiley/frowny faces in the car and, apparently, had thought about it for a good 4 hours. :)

Sassafras herself at her last tap class of this session. Where does she learn that pose?? Also, please note that her headband is bordering on "Rambo Style".

The next one I'm categorizing as Isabel although, technically, I don't know that it was her. But, let's be honest, it totally was her.

A few days after our trip to Utah, I was cleaning the house and the bathroom was on my list. I reached for the toilet brush--which we keep in it's handy little stand next to the plunger just to the side of the toilet--and was mystified when I saw the, um, substance on the brush. My first thought was, "Weird. Who was playing with this in the mud." My next thought was "OH BARF. OH I AM GOING TO PUKE. WHO IN THE WORLD??!!!" Yup. You got it. You know what was dried and crusty on the brush. Apparently, someone (Isabel) in my family (Isabel) decided to be "helpful" (Isabel) by trying to plunge the toilet (Isabel) or otherwise...um...agitate it's contents (Isabel). After I wretched all the way to the outside trash and threw the offending item away, I confronted the potential culprits. Of course, there was complete "confusion" and denial. Isabel sealed her guilt by then telling me, "Um, Mom? You might want to ask Dad about that because I'm pretty sure he knows something about this one." (All the while refusing to look at me and giving the shifty-side-looking-eyes that she previously employed in the Nutcracker photo).

As if that wasn't enough...my sister had her ADORABLE baby on Thursday via c-section. As we were driving home that evening, I was fielding no less than 2354 questions about why they didn't get to see her come out, what she looked like when she came, what an "operating room" is and why Aunty Stacy's tummy hurts. After a (finally!) break in the questions, Isabel piped up with "Well, guys why didn't Baby Mya just come out of her vagina anyways?!" Priceless. I have no idea where she heard that babies come out of vaginas. Believe it or not, it wasn't from us. Thanks to our good friend Anna and the book The Birds, the Bees and the Berenstain Bears, they had previously been tossing around the expression "birth canal". I guess that's a thing of the past. Awkward playground moments here we come! **It should be noted that I am a nurse and Spencer is a therapist. We are, therefore, obligated to use correct terminology such as "penis" and "vagina" that might embarass lay folk--such as my mother. Sorry mom! :)

I love, love, love this picture. :)

On a less disturbing note :), the kids had tons of fun spending the day with Sagie and Porter (while Spencer and I were in Denver), my niece is seriously adorable (and chubby!), and we got the greatest family pictures taken. They turned out so great! Oh, and the March of Dimes March for Babies is on Saturday--we're so excited. The walk is for sure a highlight of the year for us. :)

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Funny kids and such an adorable family picture. Miss you guys!

Lorena said...

Love the family picture...gross, gross on the poop...vaginas and penises, nice.

The Miz said...

Too funny! Really that's the only reason we had kids; just so we could be entertained by all the funny things they do and say. ;) Oh, and I want to join in with the others and say that I love your family pic.

valumama said...

so funny... but at least we know you aren't awkward about talking to the kiddo's about their bodies, that is the way I think it should be.
adorable family pictures! that was my fav from Sage's page too.

lisa said...

I adore that picture. It is so genuine. Also, you and your kids (ok, and your husband) are hilarious. As usual.

Schmidt Family said...

Aiden sometimes sings about his, in our house, weiner. Tuesday at the park he almost peed next to the playground until another mother pointed him out. You have to love boys!

The Tanuvasa Family said...

Erin, Oh so dang funny! I think you need to be a writer, I could be your number one fan and show up at every single book signing. I would tell all of my friends (all 2 of them) that you are my sisters great friend. I could be famous by association. Man this plan is sounding better and better.

Jessica said...

Your kid stories are totally funnier than anyone else's.

Really.

jessica said...

I love that you use the correct termanology for body parts. We do too. Luckily we have only girls so they don't get discussed as much as it would if we had a boy around.

Love the family picture! And the more I learn about Issy the more positive I am that she and Eden are definitely kindred spirits...

SummerV said...

You guys are darling. Your kids are just mini Erin and Spencer's. I am thinking that picture should be poster size above your couch...it is so sweet. I love Izzies sass, it's great! Kids are full of funny little stories. After sharing the easter story Ken she has tried to devise ways that Jesus could have had a getaway car with mary at the wheel so that the bad guys couldn't kill him. Blasphemous yes, but creative nonetheless.

Goldie said...

That is awesome!!! I have have a few of those moments and not looking forward to more.... I took Ava to a "human body" movie at the Planetarium and NOT a good idea for a girl who knows nay a thing about boys bodies....not a fun talk on the way home. We also are all about correct terminology and sometimes I wish we didn't :)

Anonymous said...

Did Lorena give Isabel "posing" lessons? And as far as the poop goes...I agree with Isabel. Maybe you should talk to "Dad", you just never know! By the way, I like the dark hair, Erin...so cute!

Mindy said...

I love it. The question is has your daughter ever eaten your sons poop? You should try it...Well not really. The things really do the darndest things...I love the shifty eyes. How funny

Aislinn said...

I had to make Justin read this post...SOO FUNNY... as always.... great stories, funny kids.....Love your hair!

Angie said...

Hey girl. remember me, I was commenting on Melissas blog, and have been meaning to say hi! Mindy has told me how cute your kiddies are, and she was not lying. Darn cute! I cannot believe you and Spencer got together. hehe How Fun. I always had a crush on him. Angie

Unknown said...

I was glad to read this post. EmmaLee recently posed a question "How do you get a baby out of your tummy without cutting it open?" I thought she might be a little young for much of an answer, but when she asked again, I told her about vaginas, and then she wanted to do an inspection. I recognize the importance of using correct terminology and appropriate explanations, I just didn't realize I'd be answering those questions so early. But since mine is a year older than yours, I don't feel so surprised about it anymore.