Recently, our babysitter Kate (also known as Kate the Great--as in greatest babysitter/nanny ever in the history of the universe) was driving with the kids through Old Town F.C.. On the side of the road, was this guy (or one of his lovely cohorts). Tax season is upon us and the onslaught of people dressed in Statue of Liberty or Uncle Sam costumes is making sure we don't forget it. Milo was completely perplexed and asked Kate why the guy was wearing a costume. She did her best to explain why a grown man was in a costume in the middle of the winter on the side of a fairly busy road. Milo then asked her what the Statue of Liberty is. She, again, did her best to explain. She told him that it was a very important building in New York etc. etc.. He paused for a minute and then said, "That building is funny. He has a very strange roof." (Referring, of course, to the hat that guy is wearing.) :)
Now for the second guy in the picture: smoking man. Because we're not really regularly around anyone who smokes, it's a very fascinating topic for Isabel and Milo. We've talked about it umpteen times...why people smoke, why people don't smoke, why it's not good for our bodies, etc. etc. etc.. Isabel, for whatever reason, is especially fascinated with it. A few weeks ago, she was trying to get me to explain to her exactly how people smoke. I had no idea how to explain it and, quite frankly, didn't really want to give my almost-four-year-old step by step instructions for lighting up. :) After I gave her some sort of lame variation of "I don't know", she paused and then said, "Oh guys! I know! I know how you smoke! It's easy. See, you just climb right up the chimney like Santa and then you get in the chimney and you scoop that smoke right up and drink it. That's how you smoke!". Creative eh? So, if you ever want Isabel to tutor your children in other delinquent habits just let me know. :)

4 comments:
still laughing! love it...they are so funny.
As Dane and Cade would say:
"You smoke, you poke."
Lorena I am DYING laughing. I had completely forgotten that they employed that little gem!!! Oh my gosh!!!!!
The Statue of Liberty reminds me of the argument I had with my first graders this week. I had to inform them that the statue of liberty was NOT on the top of the Provo temple.
Some growing minds were crushed I tell you!
Post a Comment