Sunday, March 16, 2008

Yummmmmm...

Once or twice a week, I do a big "food day". I prepare a recipe or two that travels and reheats well so that Spencer and I can both take it to work. It gets portioned out into containers and put in the fridge or freezer. I'm always on the lookout for new recipes that fit this criteria and lookout folks because we have a winner!!

If you've never tried quinoa, this recipe would be a great starting place. This is DELICIOUS. The original recipe can be found on Whole Foods' website. My adaption is below. Let me know if you try it...

Quinoa Primavera

1 cup quinoa
1 cup water

1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 finely chopped onion
1/2 pound (about 1/2 bunch) asparagus, woody ends snapped off and discarded, spears cut into 1-inch pieces (I've subbed broccoli florets for the asparagus and it was just as good)

1 cup fresh peas or frozen petite peas, thawed
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
1 cup thinly sliced baby spinach leaves
salt, to taste
freshly ground pepper, to taste
shredded parmesan for serving


Rinse quinoa under cold running water and drain. Combine water, broth and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until quinoa is tender and all the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and asparagus. Cook, stirring often, until asparagus is tender and bright green, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and peas and continue cooking for another minute. Stir in chicken and cooked quinoa. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle (liberally) with shredded parmesan and serve immediately.

7 comments:

Lorena said...

Great, now I'm hungry. What are the WW points on this?

Erin said...

Lorena this makes 4 really good sized portions. I think it works out to be about 6 or 7 points per serving...

Anonymous said...

Move over Jessica...make room for Erin! I've actually been wanting to try quinoa (or however it is spelled) for Weight Watchers purposes (it's a core food, meaning I can it it to my little heart's content). It sounds yummy. My kids may even like it, they sometimes surprise me that way!

The Tanuvasa Family said...

Oh how I wish I knew what quinoa was. Then I would feel smart.

Grandma Cathryn said...

Cool, I just tried quinoa for the first time last week. Except my recipe didn't give the instruction to rinse the quinoa. Make sure you do that important little step!!! Our guts hurt for a few days and I threw out the leftovers. Otherwise it was very yummy. I've read that it's a complete protein (in the same article that said to be sure to rinse the quinoa).

Grandma Cathryn said...

p.s. Apparently the hard outer shell of the quinoa nut is removed by some kind of acid; hence the need to rinse, rinse, rinse.

Sage Pierce said...

I am a witness to deliciousness of this awesome dish. Erin let me try some at her house the other day, and I loved it!! I can't wait to make some for my family! Thanks Erin!