Monday, May 4, 2009

The Many Faces of Keeler and Hippie Haystacks

This weekend, after Keeler's birthmom told us about the difficult weekend she was having, we decided to try to catch one of his killer smiles and post the picture on the private blog we have set up for her.

Well, Keeler had other plans for this photo shoot. Please see the evidence below.

Almost. Not quite a smile.
I swear that this is the look on his face 75% of the time. He is a very intent baby (and appears to be a little suspicious of our activities).

This could be what he REALLY thinks of us posing him on the couch and making ridiculous noises and faces at him.
Dr. Evil. That's all I can say.

Hilarious. Again, that's all I can say.

Tonight for Family Home Evening, we made cookies. Spencer affectionately referred to them as "Hippie Haystacks". Well, he can call them whatever he wants because they were so good!! We're definitely making these again and heads up Abbie because they are egg-free! :)
~
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (or raisin) Cookies
By Terry Walters, Clean Food Cookbook
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup unbleached white flour or brown rice flour (I used 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup white)
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tablespoon cinnamon (yes, a TABLESPOON)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup maple syrup (or agave nectar)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped (optional--I used 1/2 cup of dried cranberries instead)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or raisins
Oven: 350ºF / 180ºC
~
Combine oats, flour, coconut, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl whisk syrup, oil and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine. Fold in nuts and chips/raisins. Press dough together into small balls and place onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned.
~
Now, DON'T PANIC. The dough is super crumbly. Just do your best to smoosh it together and rinse your hands often. When you're done, they will totally come together and look like real cookies, I swear.
~
Also, I found a link to this recipe on my favorite non-family-or-friends blog, SouleMama. If you haven't read her book, The Creative Family, you totally should. So inspiring and lovely. :)

5 comments:

Melissa Davis said...

Totally laughed out loud When I saw the Dr. Evil picture sooooo funny. I love Soulemama! I can't get enough of The Creative Family, her new book comes out in August, Can't wait.

jessica said...

Those pictures are hilarious! He is so cute!

On a side note....I miss you. Who knew how crazy our lives would become when these little fellas decided to finally join our families. I will email you soon...I hope...

Abbie said...

He is so cute! Eli came out scowling and had a scowl on his face for like 6 months. He totally looks like an Anderson with all those expressions.

Tami Anderson said...

So cute! Yes, the Dr. Evil is priceless. I miss you.

Grandma Cathryn said...

Oh, I love that baby. He is so dang cute. Give those kiddies a hug from me.