Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Snowshoeing Success!

Saturday, we finally had a successful snowshoeing adventure! The weather was beautiful--tons of sunshine, not too cold, and very little wind. We headed up to Cameron Pass with my parents and my niece and had so much fun. This was the longest the kids have gone out on their snowshoes and they had a blast!! (However, we did learn that gloves are not necessarily the place to skimp when it comes to kids' clothes for snowshoeing. We had some seriously cold hands at the end.)
We also stopped on the way home for some quick sledding. The kids thought it was okay. Spencer, however, was like some sort of crazed teenager throwing himself down the face of this hill with no regard for safety or wife (who was watching from the car).
This guy and his friend nearly drove us off the road on our way up. As we were coming around a a bend I thought, "Weird! That looks like a moose. Oh, and that looks like another moose! Walking into the road!!!!!!" Spencer stopped in plenty of time but it gave us both a serious panic attack.

A bunch of crazy people were backcountry skiing up on this peak. I can't even begin to fathom how they got up there--let alone the skiing down that was, apparently, their goal!

The whole fam. :) There were many a joke about how it was a good thing that Spencer was wearing glasses on this trip so he couldn't ruin a perfectly good family picture with his closed eyes. ;) (Refer to our last snowshoeing attempt in our Christmas post.)
The kids checking out "Snow White's House". Why they called it that, we don't know.

Spencer and the twins trekking across a snowfield.
Isabel has been wearing her new (pink!!!) snowpants around the house for a solid week. She loves the sound they make when she walks. :) Funny girl. And, she was saying that she was Pinkalicious this day (refer to the children's book of the same name).

Milo on the other hand? Like a swollen tick. Ralphie's brother. Anyone need anymore hints?

Isabel enjoying hot chocolate from Grandma after sledding. This was also after she had a meltdown of colossal proportions because her hands had gone numb. :( Nothing a warm car and a mom couldn't fix in quick time but she was FREAKED OUT to say the least.


Milo getting all cozy in his carseat after he took off all of his puffy snow clothes.

9 comments:

SummerV said...

Looks like a great time. The picture of the moose is really cool. Reminds me of a time Stef and I were four wheeling by her cabin and we almost drove right into a mom moose and her baby. Then we ran out of gas and had to push the four wheeler up a hill back to the cabin. Good times. We would love to go snow shoeing with you sometime, looks like a lot of fun!

Melissa said...

Too cute! You should blog more it makes me happy!

Kirsta 'n co. said...

Getting de-puffed was always my favorite part! And I'm with Isabel, I always made my dad stop about 5 time each run while skiing so he could blow in my gloves and rub my hands to warm them up, and I STILL complained (a lot). The skiiers probably got up via helicopter - I had a friend in high school who used to go helicopter skiing. They hover pretty close to the ground and you just hop out!

Abbie said...

Fun times! i love the super puffy kids! Next time you go, will you take us? That looks like so much fun and so beautiful.

Tami Anderson said...

PLEASSSSSSE take me next time. I have always wanted to try snowshoeing,. I'd probably be really good at it since I'm Canadian and all!

How fun! I miss you guys.

jessica said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! Last time I went snow shoeing I was in college...

I love your puffy tick and pinkalicious...too precious!

Melissa said...

I am super jealous. I have only been snowshoeing once, but it was awesome!(and that's saying something because I don't even really like snow.) If I had all the gear I would totally go.

Jessica said...

You got some GREAT pictures! We want to come snowshoe with you guys!!

The Tanuvasa Family said...

I am telling you that it is hard for me to read this blog because you are ALWAYS out doing something fun and being the best Mom ever!
And I see perfect sense in naming that house Snow White's house!